The Legal Aid Board provides legal representation and legal advice in family law matters to people who cannot afford the cost of a private solicitor. The Legal Aid Board operates through its 31 full-time law centres and 10 part-time centres, located throughout the country. The Family Mediation Service also operates under the Legal Aid Board.
To qualify for legal aid services you must satisfy the Board’s financial eligibility requirements and your case must have merit, that is to say there is no other means of resolving your problem. You must make an application to be financially assessed. It is best to ring first and check what information you should bring with you. There is often a lengthy waiting time before a solicitor can be assigned to your case. Representation is more immediately available in urgent cases such as allegations of violence or where there are children at risk.
The Legal Aid Board website provides detailed information about the services it provides, including a section explaining how to apply for legal services as well as leaflets explaining the services provided in specific aspects of family law:
- Domestic Violence
- Children and the law
- Collaborative Practice
- Family Mediation
- Rights of Cohabitants
Legal Aid Board
- Address: Legal Aid Board, Quay Street, Cahirciveen, Co. Kerry.
- Also 33 full time offices nationwide – other part-time offices
- Tel: (066) 947 1000 Lo-call No: 1890 615 200 Fax: (066) 947 1035
- Website: http://www.legalaidboard.ie
Free Legal Advice Centre
- Address: Free Legal Advice Centre, 13 Lower Dorset Street, Dublin 1, Ireland
- Legal information lines: Lo-Call: 1890 350 250 / +353 1 874 5690
- Website: http://www.flac.ie/
Family Mediation Service
- Address: Family Mediation Service, 1st Floor, St. Stephen’s Green House, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2.
- Tel:+353 (0)1 6344320 Fax:+353 (0)1 6622339
- Website: http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/publishing.nsf/Content/Family_Mediation_Service
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Drop in 260 locations nationwide
- Tel: 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).
- Website: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/
The Courts Service
- Address: 15 – 24 Phoenix Street North, Smithfield, Dublin 7
- Tel: 01 1 888 6000 (main switchboard)
- Website: courts.ie