Court Applications

Parties to a family law dispute who have issued proceedings, or need to defend court proceedings will typically do so either in the District Court or the Circuit Court. An application can relate to one specific issue or may be connected to proceedings already issued between the parties, such as judicial separation or divorce.

Where such proceedings relating to the status of the relationship have already been issued by the relevant Circuit Court office, then, individual issues such as maintenance or custody/access can be resolved on an interim basis (meaning before the full hearing of the judicial separation or divorce proceedings) by for example,  the Circuit Court already dealing with the proceedings.

Where such proceedings have not already issued, individual issues are typically resolved in the District Court.

Image by Lonpicman CC – BY – NC – 2.0

Lonpicman [CC BY-SA 3.0] [CC BY-SA 3.0 (], via Wikimedia Commons