Money matters will arise in the course of every relationship, and at every stage of that relationship, good and bad. Individuals, couples and families may need occasionally to reach out for support.
MABS – Money Advice and Budgeting Service
Where money management is an issue, assistance is available through MABS – a state funded confidential money advice service, guiding people in relation to general financial budgeting as well as assisting with managing problem debts. Their aim is to assist clients to get back on their feet and they assist people to manage money not only in relation to the interim financial difficulties arising in the course of relationship difficulties, but also in relation to long term budgeting.
The MABS helpline is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm at 0761 07 2000. Assistance is also available online, or people can simply attend at their local office in more than 65 locations nationwide. MABS advises clients to attend prepared; to collect all relevant financial information before the first appointment.
Personal Insolvency is a new procedure, introduced by the Personal Insolvency Act 2012 which seeks to assist individuals who cannot afford to pay their personal and mortgage debts by alleviating the existing pressures. These debt resolution processes are administered by the Insolvency Service of Ireland (ISI). Supplemental information is available at the related website www.backontrack.ie and on the personal insolvency page of the citizen information website.
Social Welfare Supports
The Department of Social Protection provides comprehensive information relating to all relevant social welfare payments and supports.
The Citizen Information Board provides a detailed overview and commentary on all matters arising in relation to social welfare, and the income maintenance structures of the State.
Money and tax matters are also informed by the Revenue Commissioners and again supplemental information and supports can be obtained from the money and tax page of the Citizens Information website.
Image by Emilian Robert Vicol CC – BY – NC – 2.0
Local offices nationwide
- MABS National Development Ltd
- National Traveller MABS
Helpline – 0761 07 2000 Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- To request a call back from the MABS Helpline, email MABS at firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Request for call back” in the subject line of your email. Always provide a phone number where you can talk privately, and a Helpline Adviser will try to call you back by the end of the next working day.MABS Mortgage Arrears Information Helpline:
- Tel 0761074050 (Monday – Friday 9.30-5.00)
- Address: Drop in 260 locations nationwide
- Tel: 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).
- Website: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/