Financial Supports

Euro note currency Image by JTSocial Welfare financial support

Immediate financial support can be sought from every local social welfare office – the website of the Department of Social Protection provides an online ‘office locator’ service. All information relating to social welfare payments and financial supports is available at

The Citizen Information Board provides a useful commentary and explanation of all matters arising in relation to social welfare and the income maintenance structures of the State at

FLAC also offers information on applying for social welfare payments and making social welfare appeals.

Immediate, urgent financial social welfare support

Although there are many dedicated payments available eligibility for which will depend upon the particular circumstances of each application; the Supplementary Welfare Allowance payment includes capacity for the payment of an Exceptional Needs Payment and/or an Urgent Needs Payment both of which are discretionary based payments which can be applied for in urgent or emergency situation.

Money Management

Where money management is an issue, assistance is available through MABS – the Money Advice and Budgeting Service. MABS is a state funded confidential money advice service, guiding people in relation to general financial budgeting as well as assisting with managing problem debts. Their aim is to assist their clients to get back on their feet and can assist people to manage money not only in relation to the interim financial difficulties arising in the course of relationship difficulties, but also to assist with the long term budgeting for clients.

The MABS helpline is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm at 0761 07 2000. Assistance is also available online, or people can attend at their local office in more than 65 locations nationwide. Do attend prepared; collect all relevant financial information before your first appointment.

Personal Insolvency is a new procedure, introduced by the Personal Insolvency Act 2012 which allows individuals who cannot afford to pay their personal and mortgage debts. These debt resolution processes are administered by the Insolvency Service of Ireland (ISI). Additional information is available at the related website and at on the personal insolvency page of the citizen information website.

FLAC has also published a guide to help deal with mortgage arrears in order to avoid entering insolvency.

Image by JT CC – BY – NC – 2.0


 Citizens Information

MABS – Money Advice and Budgeting Service

  • Address: 65 Locations nationwide
  • Tel: 0761 07 200 – Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm.
  • Website:


  • Address: Samaritans Ireland, 4-5 Usher’s Court, Usher’s Quay, Dublin 8.
  • Tel: 01 6710071; Freephone: 116-123
  • Website:

 Department of Social Protection