Domestic violence is the threat of physical or sexual violence and the actual use of emotional, physical, sexual or psychological violence against family members and those who are involved in a close adult relationship. Domestic abuse can affect anyone; it is not confined to any specific cultural, social or ethnic background or age group. Whilst the majority of victims are women, men can also be affected by domestic violence.
- The COSC website provides useful information on what types of behaviour are regarded as domestic abuse. In particular it addresses the following issues:
- Tusla is the State run Child and Family Agency and it provides information on the Domestic, Sexual & Gender Based Violence Services available to those who are victims of domestic violence.
- Safe Ireland provides information to women and children who are victims of domestic violence and outlines details of the supports available to them.
- Amen is a useful site which provides information and assistance for male victims of domestic abuse.
Providing support for a victim of domestic violence
The COSC website provides useful guidance and contacts/helplines for someone seeking to assist a victim of domestic violence.
- Tusla and Barnardos have produced a very useful information leaflet for parents of children aged 6-12 who have experienced domestic abuse.
- Tusla and Barnardos have produced a child friendly information leaflet for children aged 6-12 who have experienced domestic abuse.
- Tusla and Barnardos have produced an information leaflet targeted at teenagers who are living with domestic abuse.
Image by Jeremiah CC – BY -2.O
COSC – The National Office for the Prevention of Domestic, Sexual and Gender-based Violence
- Address: Department of Justice and Equality, 2nd Floor, Montague Court, Montague Street, Dublin 2
- Tel: 01 4768680
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.cosc.ie
TUSLA – Child and Family Agency
- Address: Child and Family Agency, Block D, Park Gate Business Centre, Parkgate Street, Dublin, Ireland
- Tel:(01) 635 2854
- Website: http://www.tusla.ie/
Legal Aid Board
- Address: Legal Aid Board, Quay Street, Cahirciveen, Co. Kerry.
- Also 33 full time offices nationwide – other part-time offices
- Tel: (066) 947 1000 Lo-call No: 1890 615 2000 Fax: (066) 947 1035
- Website: http://www.legalaidboard.ie
Free Legal Advice Centre
- Address: Free Legal Advice Centre, 13 Lower Dorset Street, Dublin 1, Ireland
- Legal information lines: Lo-Call: 1890 350 250 / +353 1 874 5690
- Website: http://www.flac.ie/
- Address: Drop in 260 locations nationwide
- Tel: 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).
- Website: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/
- Address: St Anne’s Resource Centre, Railway Street, Navan, Co Meath.
- Tel: 046 9023718
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.amen.ie
- Address: Barnardos National Office, Christchurch Square, Dublin 8. (Open Monday to Friday 9.00am – 5pm)
- Tel: 01 453 0355 Callsave: 1850 222 300
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.barnardos.ie