It is normal to experience stress during a relationship breakdown and it can be helpful to talk to someone during this period. The advantage of engaging with a professional counsellor is that he or she is trained to act neutrally and objectively. Counsellors have no previous knowledge of you, your ex-partner or your situation and so they don’t have pre-set opinions of your situation. Importantly, the information you share with a counsellor remains confidential between you and them, unless there is a child at risk.
One Family provides information and support for all members of one-parent families, including a reduced rate general counseling service. They have produced a helpful document entitled “What is counselling?” which explains the counselling process and outlines how it can benefit separating parties. A list of useful telephone numbers is also listed.
Nationwide Counselling Resources
- Medical Card Holders: the GP Referral Scheme includes capacity for free counseling sessions. Contact your GP for more information.
- Private Health Insurance: If you have private health insurance, your policy may allow a contribution towards counseling. Check directly with your Insurer.
- Employee Assistance Programmes: Some employers offer free counseling session through the Employee Assistance Programme. If you are currently in employment contact the Human Resources department to find out more.
Family Mediation Service
- Address: Family Mediation Service, 1st Floor, St. Stephen’s Green House, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2.
- Tel:+353 (0)1 6344320 Fax:+353 (0)1 6622339
- Website: http://www.legalaidboard.ie
- Email: email@example.com
Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP)
IACP operates a telephone referral service and produced the Directory of IACP Accredited Counsellors and Psychotherapists to help locate a local counsellor.
Irish Council for Psychotherapy
Details of psychotherapists are available on the ‘Find a Psychotherapist’ section of the website.
- Tel: 01 9058698
- Website: http://www.psychotherapycouncil.ie/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Child & Family Agency – Tusla
- Address: Child and Family Agency, Block D, Park Gate Business Centre, Parkgate Street, Dublin, Ireland
- Tel:(01) 635 2854
- Website: http://www.tusla.ie/
Accord Catholic Marriage Counselling Service
AIM family services
AIM is a voluntary organisation which offers non-directive counseling, legal information, and a family mediation service to people experiencing marital, relationship and family problems.