Termination of care occurs in the following situations:
- When the child reaches the age of 18
- When parents regain custody of their child where the child was placed in Voluntary Care.
- When a court discharges a Care Order
- When a Care Order expires and the court chooses not to renew it.
The removal of a child from all forms of placement can be initiated by either the, person with care and custody of the child, or the Child and Family Agency.
It is possible for the CFA to continue to help a child after he/she reaches the age of 18, up until he/she is 23, if they remain in education/training. Although the child is no longer in the care of the CFA, the CFA can make provisions for the child. This is called after-care – The Tusla website provides information on after care for children.
Image by Petra Bensted CC – BY – NC – 2.0
The Legal Aid Board
- Address: The Legal Aid Board, Quay Street, Caherciveen, Kerry.
- Tel:+353 (0)66 947 1000 Locall: 1890 615 200
- Website: http://www.legalaidboard.ie
- Email: email@example.com
Free Legal Advice Centres
- Address: , 13 Lower Dorset Street, Dublin 1.
- Tel:+353 (0)1 8745690 Fax:+353 (0)1 8745320
- Website: http://www.flac.ie
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Mediation Service
- Address: Family Mediation Service, 1st Floor, St. Stephen’s Green House, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2.
- Tel:+353 (0)1 6344320 Fax:+353 (0)1 6622339
- Website: http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/publishing.nsf/Content/Family_Mediation_Service
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Drop in 260 locations nationwide
- Tel: 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).
- Website: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/
“Empowering People in Care” is a resource to assist those who are engaged with the Care system. Core contact hours are 9.00am – 5.00pm.
- EPIC Cork – Millerd Hall, Millerd Street, Cork; Tel: 021 2428434
- EPIC Dublin – 7 Red Cow Lane. Smithfield, Dublin 7. Tel: 01 8727661
- EPIC Galway – Westside Resource Centre, Seamus Quirke Road, Galway Tel: 091 395605
Child and Family Agency