Where an immediate short term housing need arises, immediate support may be available from the housing department of the local city/county/town council. However there is no obligation on local authorities to house all those in need.
The Citizen Information Service is a good starting point for information on the housing possibilities available in different areas of the country.
Check this list of the contact details for all local authority offices to identify the relevant town, city or county council.
The Citizen Information Service has set out details on the various housing options that might be available to those who find themselves in need of support:
- Emergency and temporary accommodation – this comprises mostly of hotel and Bed and breakfast accommodation for those who are homeless.
- Social housing – Housing provided by local authorities or voluntary bodies for adults who cannot afford to provide it for themselves. A dedicated form must be completed to apply to the local authority for social housing each local authority publishes its own version
- Private Rented housing can be supported financially by a weekly Rent Supplement to help pay the rent.
State Support in respect for housing needs and in particular rent supplement is administered by the local Health Centres – details as follows:
Carlow – Cavan – Clare – Cork – Donegal – Dublin – Galway – Kildare – Kerry – Kilkenny – Laois – Leitrim – Limerick – Longford – Louth – Mayo – Meath – Monaghan – Offaly – Roscommon – Sligo – Tipperary – Waterford – Westmeath – Wexford – Wicklow
Image by Paul Townsend CC – BY – NC – 2.0
Focus Ireland: provides nationwide services and supports for persons who are homeless or are threatened with homelessness.
- Dublin – Advice & Info Coffee Shop, 15 Eustace St, Dublin 2;
- Tel: 01 671 2555 Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cork – Advice & Info Cork, 80a Hibernian House, South Mall, Cork
- Tel: 021 427 3646 Email: email@example.com
- Kilkenny – Advice & Info Kilkenny, 1 Garden Row, Kilkenny
- Tel: 056 779 4565 or 086 410 8206 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Limerick – Advice & Info Limerick, 7A Catherine Place, Limerick
- Tel: 061 405300 Email: email@example.com
- Dungarvan Advice & Info Dungarvan, Convent Lodge, Mitchell Street Dungarvan
- Tel: 058 43570 Email: cowaterfordservices @focusireland.ie
- South Dublin – Advice & Info South Dublin, 510 Main Street, Tallaght
- Tel: 01 4940224 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waterford – Advice & Info Waterford
- Tel: 086 4171160 Email: Waterfordservices@focusireland.ie
- Wexford Advice & Info Wexford County Hall, Carricklawn Wexford
- Tel: 086 4171160 Email: email@example.com
- Address: Samaritans Ireland, 4-5 Usher’s Court, Usher’s Quay, Dublin 8.
Tel: 01 6710071; Freephone: 116-123
- Website: samaritans.ie
- Address: Drop in 260 locations nationwide
- Tel: 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).
- Website: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/
- Dublin – 9 – 12 High Street, Christchurch, Dublin 8 Tel:01 881 5900
- Waterford – St. John’s Park, Grange Cohan, Waterford Tel:051 879 810
- Limerick – Catherine Place Limerick Tel: 061 405 300
- Kilkenny – 1 Garden Row Kilkenny Tel: 056 779 4565
- Cork – Hibernian House 80a South Mall Cork Tel: 021 4273646
- Sligo – 69 Lower John Street Sligo Tel: 071914997
- Website: www.focusireland.ie